PDA

View Full Version : 404 ERRORS when property goes off the market?!

DFWMOVES Cindy
04-08-2011, 10:25 PM
I'm brand new to this, but think I have a problem. I was looking at my cpanel and noticed a lot of 404 errors. Seems Google has found my site and I guess is looking at pages, but getting 404 errors when looking at the IDX pages of homes no longer on the market. What do I do?? Redirect all 404's to the home page?? Is this some kind of flaw with the system, or did I miss setting up something correctly?

Thanks in advance all. Oh and BTW, if this involves some kind of fix in the cpanel, please explain s-l-o-w-l-y, (or perhaps be prepared to take a bribe to help me fix it?!)

Cindy

Mike McGee
04-09-2011, 09:24 AM
I'm guessing this should be in the dsIDXpress forum, not dsSearchAgent. Anyway, this is normal. Here's a thread about it: http://community.dsidxpress.com/diversesolutions/topics/home_goes_pending_sold_or_off_market_what_happens_ to_the_page

DFWMOVES Cindy
04-09-2011, 03:56 PM
Sorry about the post in the wrong spot. Thanks, Mike. I followed the thread and am still mostly confused. I had no idea when I jumped into the whole wordpress, blogging, SEO thing it was like having another full time job and would be providing my own on the job training. How did the rest of you get so smart?

Ricardo Bueno
04-11-2011, 10:15 AM
Hi Cindy,

Sometimes (or mostly), managing your own website can be time consuming. I think it's the inner-perfectionist in us that makes us struggle with things, heh.

Now, in regards to the 404 errors, this is common. What happens is the plugin does a wonderful job of creating new URLs for new listings as they hit the market (we call these pages "Virtual Pages"). Since we don't display Sold data, when that new listing comes off the market, technically, that URL no longer exists either but Google will sometimes still display the URL in search due to caching. So, what we do is what's called a 301 redirect (this is good for SEO) to your 404 Error Page. Now that last term sounds bad, but it really isn't. A 404 Error Page is just a page on your blog that site visitors are directed to when they can't otherwise find whatever they're looking for. You CAN customize this page to make it a bit more search friendly.

Anyway, I hope that helps give you a bit of a clearer explanation on what's going on here. If you still have questions/concerns, please ask away! And I'd also like to encourage you to sign up for one of our dsIDXpress webinars:
http://helpdesk.diversesolutions.com/webinar-sign-up/

...they're free and conducted weekly.

Talk to you soon...