PDA

View Full Version : Referring URL

Mike McGee
06-22-2011, 10:43 AM
When we get a new registration, included in the notification email is the referring URL. Sometimes this URL is from the search engine that drove the user to our site (which is very helpful!), while other times the URL simply shows the page on which the dsSearchAgent is located (not as helpful). So, I'm wondering how it's determined what referring URL is displayed.

I once had a contact plugin which showed every page the user viewed on our website before the contact was made. Of course, that won't work when the contact comes through dsSearchAgent. It would be awesome if DS could include such capability with dsSearchAgent. I would imagine it would entail placing a script in the head, but it seems doable.

Thoughts?

bellevueops
06-24-2011, 03:06 PM
Mike, if you're only interested in this data for analytical reasons you can enable an option we added recently:

Make sure SearchAgent and your site are using the same Google Analytics code. Then go into the Control Panel -> SearchAgent Options -> "Search Options" tab -> and enable "Track Google Analytics in Website". This will "push" the analytics "up" to your main site, thus connecting the session of all visitors between your site and the framed SearchAgent. So you'll be able to see the traffic patterns of people who registered and everything else.

A few notes:

1. you must be using the latest Google Tracker, if you're using an up-to-date WordPress plugin, you're probably fine
2. the google analytics ID needs to be the same on your site and the IDX
3. you need to be using the <script> code to frame in dsSearchAgent

* kind of complicated, but it works great!
** a blog post is forthcoming on how this exactly works, and what it means for everyone

Mike McGee
06-24-2011, 05:55 PM
Sounds great! Brings up a couple of questions:

1.) So you can see the "traffic patterns", but how are they connected to an individual contact? Is this something I would see in the DS Control Panel under that contact's IDX Report?
2.) I can see how this could track traffic from within our site, but would it show the URL from the referring site (usually a search engine)?

thanks,
Mike

bellevueops
06-24-2011, 07:42 PM
This would only be for overall traffic analysis, not visitor-level "metadata". It's an interesting idea, but definitely starts moving outside of the scope (literally) of the search frame. I'm not really seeing any ways to accomplish this off the top of my head, but I'll think about it.

1. no, not visitor-level
2. yes, google analytics should show the referring url and the full traffic paths to registrations if you set them up as goals

Mike McGee
06-25-2011, 03:05 PM
OK, thanks. Couple more questions:

1.) Currently I use separate ID's in GA for dsSearchAgent vs my main site. On my main site I can check dsIDXpress data in GA under "Content" by typing /idx/ (lower case) in the filter. However, I notice that dsSearchAgent pages have /IDX/ (caps) in their URLs, and that filter in GA is not case sensitive. So if I combine them into the same GA ID, how can I separate dsSearchAgent data from dsIDXpress data?

2.) When setting goals, for dsSearchAgent, do you know if I should use "Head Match", "Exact Match" or "Regular Expression Match"? Under "Exact Match" it says, "leading or trailing whitespaces will invalidate the goal" and I notice that the dsSearchAgent goal pages have spaces in their URL's. E.g.: /IDX/Visitor Registration
So I'm guessing I need to use either Head Match or Regular Expression Match? Right now I have it setup for Head Match.

bellevueops
06-27-2011, 10:10 AM
1. No I suppose not at this time in terms of the directory structure. But both dsSA and dsIDXpress have different reault, detail, goals so you'd be able to manage those separately.

2. We use Head Match. Regexes are a great way to capture multiple URLs, or complicated URLs. But they do have a learning curve: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regular_expression

Mike McGee
06-27-2011, 11:36 AM
1. No I suppose not at this time in terms of the directory structure. But both dsSA and dsIDXpress have different reault, detail, goals so you'd be able to manage those separately.

Yeah, I wasn't thinking so much in terms of the goals, etc, as I was about the sort of macro view. By tracking them separately I was able to tell, for example, that my dsIDXpress pages have a staggering 84% bounce rate, whereas dsSearchAgent has an incredibly impressive 1.4% bounce rate.

2. yes, google analytics should show the referring url and the full traffic paths to registrations if you set them up as goals

Strange thing here, I set them up as goals and GA shows 6 conversions since I switched over to this tracking method. However, when viewing the Content Detail of, say, /IDX/Visitor Registration, if I click Entrance Paths, Entrance Keywords or Entrance Sources, they all show "No Data." Any idea what that would be? If I click Navigation Summary, it shows me the few properties that were viewed before the registration preceded by /IDX/Search. It doesn't show any of my website pages - should it?

That brings up another question - if the dsSearchAgent script is hosted on a page on my site, and both that page and dsSearchAgent have the GA tracker on them, which page recorded when the user visits that page and begins searching? I would think it would record the host page first, then the /IDX/Search page once the user begins to search. Not sure why none of my site pages were recorded in the paths to the conversions, nor were the referring URLs or keywords.

bellevueops
06-28-2011, 05:25 PM
Mike I private messaged you.

Mike McGee
08-10-2011, 08:17 AM
Any more progress on this? It's still not tracking entrance sources / keywords.