PDA

View Full Version : Voluntary Registration Goals??

ericchristopher
11-01-2011, 11:24 AM
I've discussed this with a couple site owners, and I thought I'd open this to the community.

I manage a site for a client, and for the first two months we ran paid traffic while toying with the forced registration settings.

Results obviously varied with the different approaches we took (particular pages to run traffic; traffic source; popup settings), but overall success was certainly had.

Now before I open the Paid Search floodgates, I'd like to know that the approach we're taking is most efficient. I've decided to do an equal sized test to the same community without forcing registration.

My question to those of you who opt against forced registration is the following: How do you define success?

Registrations?

Calls?

Requests for showings?

And assuming it is either a collection of the above, or perhaps just one of the above actions, what's a healthy response rate for a site without forced registration?

During the forced reg test we received no phone calls and no requests for showings. Of course the popup drove upwards of 90% of the non-bounce traffic off the site, so it's pretty clear why the phone never rang.

Thank you for any thoughts....

EricRichards
11-02-2011, 05:23 PM
I run a couple of sites that are purely SEO efforts, while my paid site does the bulk of the traffic. During times of intense business(lots of buyers and contracts) I will turn off my PPC and focus on SEO. To answer your questions I can't place a measurable index on success. I do track my impressions and clicks on Google Webmasters pages, but alas the phone doesn't ring nor does the inbox get flooded with showing requests.

My chatting with other diverse users has ultimately led me to want the ability "alter the self generated links" with the option of turning on and off the forced registration with generated link.

I feel this would promote more self influenced registrations rather than the forced registrations.

Thoughts? Would this help you?

ericchristopher
11-04-2011, 11:05 AM
I run a couple of sites that are purely SEO efforts, while my paid site does the bulk of the traffic. During times of intense business(lots of buyers and contracts) I will turn off my PPC and focus on SEO. To answer your questions I can't place a measurable index on success. I do track my impressions and clicks on Google Webmasters pages, but alas the phone doesn't ring nor does the inbox get flooded with showing requests.

My chatting with other diverse users has ultimately led me to want the ability "alter the self generated links" with the option of turning on and off the forced registration with generated link.

I feel this would promote more self influenced registrations rather than the forced registrations.

Thoughts? Would this help you?

@EricRichards

I suppose that with a more relaxed effort in the way of fielding leads (self-influenced) the approach becomes more of a brand development than a direct response approach. Like you said, it's a challenge to place a measurable index on success (short term, at least).

And that's a great idea -- a link addendum for forced reg. Yes, with Panda and its iterations devouring user behavior through Google Analytics (and Chrome), the game that is SEO requires that we let at least some users play around.