Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the Diverse Solutions Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Anyone else troubled by Zillow purchase of Diverse Solutions?

By purchasing Diverse Solutions, and therefore dsIDXPress, Zillow now has access to all of our listing data. This helps Zillow to be more accurate (they never were even close to accurate) and increases their Google ranking which means life just got even harder for realtors trying to get good rankings, which means, they are charging us to help them put us out of business. It's a catch-22. The more we use their IDXpress plug-in on our websites, and the harder we work for better rankings, the higher their rankings and the more $$ and credibility they gain which means they can charge us even more!! Huge buzz around the internet about this.

Interesting, I wonder if Zillow will provide some sort of solution to this, or if we're all just screwed now!

Zillow Bought DS in 2011, Not 2015 -- Read for Comprehensive Details

Zillow purchased Diverse Solutions way back in 2011, so this shouldn't be any surprise to anyone. And Zillow owning Diverse has no affect on poor rankings at all either. I'll explain while trying to offer some laymans knowledge as to how this agent got his website back to the top, with the help of the "competition's" IDX plugin. I am not a techie... just a more right-brained artist selling real estate.

But agents arenít "screwed" unless they don't have the time to build their own website. With todayís WordPress themes and the thousands of plugins offered, many of them free, youíre only screwed if you cannot put in at least 20 hours a week to building your own website. If you cannot make that commitment, then youíll end up paying someone at least $7,500 to build a site for you.

Unfortunately, I don't have the spare money, but I do have the ability and dedication to slowly rebuild my WordPress website. Once I was done with all 200+ pages (for just about every community in my area), I then added the IDX feature to each page.

I've been implementing and optimizing my own websites going back to 1993, but I always used a template or website building program (remember, Iím not a techie). But I was still able to get my website ranked in the #1 & #2 positions, and I NEVER used a pay-per click service. How? Its simple, just look at what the competition is doing, and read about SEO - search engine optimization.

The search engines changed their algorithms over a decade ago, and they continue to on a daily basis. That in turn directly affects how all web pages were/are ranked. But in my research, I learned that websites and their respective pages are indexed higher when a page had active listings embedded into a page, plus a few other factors like content description and properly tagged images. In turn, if Zillow is using my listings, I in turn am also using their listings!

Today, I've been implementing the IDXpress into my website for just over a year and after a year, all 200+ pages are finally making their way to the top of the search engine pages. Trust me, about 6 months ago, I just about gave up because so many of my pages were not showing up. It is frustrating and I understand that, but donít give up and give it time! But here are some search results from this morning (9/22/2015). Use the respective search engine and search using the phrases below - give it a try:

Google: "carleton falls townhomes newport news va" (position #5 mrtownhome is my website)
    Google: "bridgewater at eagle harbor carrollton va" (#1 position)
    Google: "homes for sale in ridgely manor virginia beach va" (#6 position)
    Google: "townhomes for sale in grace hill ridgely manor" (#4 position)
    Yahoo: "townhomes for sale in grace hill ridgely manor" (#2 position)

I get leads that currently cost me $30 a month for the IDX plugin, plus about $125 a year for hosting. But over the past few months, Iíve noticed something else the competition is doing that helps KEEP their pages at the topÖ they show ďSOLDĒ listings! As agents, we naturally think why would a buyer care about sold listings but guess what, those sold listings aren't for the visitor -- they're in place to keep those pages in the top search positions -- even when thereís no active listing to show!

Not all MLSís allow sold listings to be displayed but my MLS does so now, I am going to up the ante and start paying $60 a month for the IDX Pro because that will allow sold listings to be displayed.

So imagine thisÖ if I could get most all of my webs pages indexed at the top using just the IDXpress, I cannot wait to implement the IDX Pro!

I honestly and completely understand your point and somewhat agree with you, that itís getting harder to get better ranking and that as agents, we donít have the deep pockets these larger firms have. But I was going to be damned first to let that happen. Sure, it got me down and POíd, and I put off revamping my site for over a year. And as a result, my leads dropped to zero and I found myself taking commission advances to eat and pay bills!

But the time I put into my website was not in vain and after 1.5 years, my site has finally gotten indexed and it keeps getting indexed even better.

Just keep at it and if you want me to add my two-cents about your site, just provide your URL and Iíll have a look at it.

Also, doing the following is also very important to do to every website, assuming youíre using WordPress. Regardless, the basics still need to be followed.

Free SEO WordPress plugin: www.yoast.com . This plugin helps the author (you agent) add proper titles, keywords and meta tags to every page, and also includes very important xml sitemap too. The paid plugin includes support.

Create a free Gmail email account, to make using the following easier.

Google Analytics (free): https://www.google.com/analytics
    Create a profile and add your website for Google to index, but only have them index your website when your site is 100% completed Ė not before or thatís the kiss of death! But using this site, I now see that nearly 100% of visitors are using a phone or tablet to search, so thatís why I use a ďresponsiveĒ WordPress theme and that also why I need to bump up to IDX Pro so my site is more user friendly to smart phone users.

Then add this Google plugin to monitor traffic and comprehensive keywords visitors use to find your site: https://deconf.com/
    This plugin can be displayed on your admin page of your WordPress site, which quickly shows traffic.

Do the same with Bing.com http://www.bing.com/toolbox/webmaster/
    Bing, which is also yahoo & msn.com plus others, has a sitemap submission and analytics pages like Goggle that helps get your pages indexed.

I know this reply was wordy, but I felt it was very necessary as the Internet is not simple any more, and if you're an agent who likes the leads coming to you instead of your going to them (like I do), then the time and effort will be worth it!

Iíve been down the same path as you years ago but donít despair -- kick some website butt!

Frank Biganski, Real Estate Agent
    http://mrtownhome.net
    Hampton, Virginia

Frank, thanks so much for such a helpful post! I'm just getting started with my WordPress site, and it's nice to hear from someone who's been through the process before, and has come out the other side in good shape.

The problem with Zillow buying Diverse Solutions is that Zillow would have an incentive to not allow the products offered by Diverse to be as good as what Zillow has. There are dozens of features on Zillow that are not avaialable on Diverse Solutions. With so many people stuck using Diverse, it might be in Zillow's best interest not to overimprove what we get. After 5 years it would be tough to quit, but we are hoping for a better thing. I think it would go a long ways if Diverse Solutions would be open about the plans for these projects. What is the mystery for?

Thomas Billings
    Broker and Real Estate Website Consulting
    480-717-8895

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasKBillings View Post
    The problem with Zillow buying Diverse Solutions is that Zillow would have an incentive to not allow the products offered by Diverse to be as good as what Zillow has. There are dozens of features on Zillow that are not avaialable on Diverse Solutions. With so many people stuck using Diverse, it might be in Zillow's best interest not to overimprove what we get. After 5 years it would be tough to quit, but we are hoping for a better thing. I think it would go a long ways if Diverse Solutions would be open about the plans for these projects. What is the mystery for?
    Zillow is not a Realtor or MLS operation, and therefore is not limited to IDX functionality or by MLS by-laws, etc.. Z can get and publish Realtor listings and augment them with their own content and functionality. Most Realtors are prohibited by their own MLS and IDX guidelines from offering what Z brings to the table. Z is not holding anything back with their DS products. If they did a competing IDX provider would eat Z/DS' lunch.
    Last edited by IDX Leads; 03-13-2016 at 06:26 PM.

The joining of Zillow and Diverse Solutions now provides agents with even more marketing resources. In the coming months, customers of both organizations will see new and exciting benefits- all designed to help connect home buyers and sellers with the agents and brokers that help to make it all happen.

For your website development, you should hire magento developer and give you magento installation, magento maintenance services, magento performance optimization, magento customization service, magento system backup and build a magento website.
    Enjoy our magento development services.
    Last edited by Brucey; 05-15-2017 at 12:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brucey View Post
    The joining of Zillow and Diverse Solutions now provides agents with even more marketing resources. In the coming months, customers of both organizations will see new and exciting benefits- all designed to help connect home buyers and sellers with the agents and brokers that help to make it all happen.
    yes, i think so you

I think it's definitely an issue, and agents should push their local organizations to restrict zillow access. It'll be the only thing to push them off of serps