Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the Diverse Solutions Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DS IDX Press not respecting canonical redirect to non www page

Hello,

I noticed a problem with my site and duplicate content of listings produced by the DS IDX Press plugin.

For example the below listing:

http://www.skyvillagerealty.com/real...diego_ca_92101

If you type the listing in your browser including the "www" on the URL as it is shown on the link above it does not redirect to the canonical version without the "www" on it as it should per my site's settings.

Actually, if you look in the page source there is a canonical tag pointing to the URL without the "www" on it so I am not sure why it is not working like the rest of the pages on my site that point to the respective pages without the "www". This is only happening with listing pages produced by the DS IDX plugin.

Why is it not respecting the canonical and serving the page with the "www" on it?

I tested this with other websites using canonicals as well and the same is happening with IDX listings.

This is causing duplicate content issues as google seems to be crawling both listings with and without the "www" on it and is considered duplicate content from my understanding.

Any insight into this?
    Last edited by Lindsay; 07-10-2012 at 09:31 AM.

Hey there,

I'm not quite sure why it isn't redirecting properly but I will have our Dev Team look into this for you and will respond here once I hear back from them. I'll be back in touch with you soon!

Our Dev Team responded and let me know that as long as you have it set up properly in Settings >> General it should redirect the way you want it to. Since it's not redirecting to exclude the www's as you wish we will need to gain admin access to check things out. If you would, please either send me a private message through the forum or you may send an email to [email protected], just address it to Lindsay, and I'll grab it when it comes in. Just be sure to mention it's in regards to this forum post.

Hi Lindsay,

I emailed you the information so you guys can log in and check it out.

Thanks much.

Hi Gonzalo,

I got this over to our Dev Team to check out for you. Thanks for getting that info over to me. I'll be in touch with you soon to let you know what we discover.

Hello,

I already responded directly to Gonzalo but wanted to post the response here as well for others to read.

We were able to identify an issue with redirects in dsIDXpress. However, we DO set the canonical tag properly as Gonzalo mentioned in his first post:

<link rel="canonical" href="http://skyvillagerealty.com/real-estate/idx/mls-120027333-253_10th_ave_220_san_diego_ca_92101" />

Because we have the canonical tag set up properly Google and other search engines will always index these pages using the non-www version (in Gonzalo's case) as Gonzalo would like them to. So, it will not have any adverse effect on his indexed pages or rankings in search engines.

We will be going back and fixing this so that it appears properly for site visitors as well at some point but there is no danger as far as SEO / search engines go.

To further explain, Gonzalo has his blog set up in WP under Settings >> General to NEVER display with www's. So, the dsIDXpress pages should not display with www's either and if www's are entered they should always redirect to the non-www URL. Of course, if your own blog is set to INCLUDE www's in WP then the dsIDXpress pages should also always include www.

Now, if we check out his blog in Google (specifically all dsIDXpress pages) we can see that all his pages are being properly indexed WITHOUT www's:

https://www.google.com/search?q=site...ient=firefox-a

I hope this helps. If anyone has any additional questions regarding this issue just let us know.

A canonical URL allows you to tell search engines that certain similar URLs are actually one and the same.

301 – Hey, Search Engines: My page is no longer here, and has permanently moved to a new page. Please remove it from your index and pass credit to the new page.

Canonical – Hey, (most) Search Engines: I have multiple versions of this page (or content), please only index this version. I’ll keep the others available for people to see, but don’t include them in your index and please pass credit to my preferred page.

ex:

<link rel="canonical" href="http://net-informations.com/" />

Which is Better?

Google’s own Matt Cutts answered this very question in a Google Webmaster Help video in which he confirms that: although rel=canonical is a directive that Google generally follows, 301 redirects are to be preferred whenever/wherever possible. You should be cautious when using either 301s or a rel=canonical, as these changes can easily go wrong if not implemented correctly, and hurt your website as a result. Regardless of the path you choose, be the “master of your domain”

Brian