Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the Diverse Solutions Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Cool Nearby Button does not work as expected

Hi,

I have seen the various threads regarding the issues with the mobile version not directing properly to custom link results and have a few issues with this myself. However, I have overcome a few of these hurdles by directing a user straight to the search page etc...

My main issue is the "Nearby" button...My client needs a regular "Buy Home" search and a "Rental Home" search. When someone clicks the "Search for Rentals" button on her mobile site they go straight to a custom link restraining them to rentals, but once there if they click nearby or any other button (besides refine search) it clears the restraints...from other posts I can see this is an issue for many...

OK...fine, so I decided I will not use a custom link and instead send a user straight to the search page inform them to un-check all and check residential lease...BUT clicking the nearby button will still clear all restraints and send them back to a list of homes for sale!

This can not be how you intended the nearby button to work, right? If I am a user and I go straight to your mobile search with zero restraints in play and select what to search by, pull that into a list, and then click nearby...why would you clear my search parameters? A user must then completely start their search over...and its incredibly confusing for a user. Currently the only solution I can come up with is this: Build a page that they hit prior to the mobile version, write out a paragraph of instructions that boils down to don't click any buttons besides "Refine Search", have a button they click to go to the mobile search, and pray they actually read the instructions before leaving my mobile site...seriously???

I understand making your product as useful as possible to as many customers as possible, but the nearby button in its current capacity (re: huge and part of the navigation at the bottom) is useless. Not just for someone searching for a rental, but for anyone searching by any parameter...

I also get that "refine search" will keep the search parameters and I get that there is a location box with a gps button they can click within refine search, but will a user? OR will they just see that big handy "Nearby" button at the bottom and click it instead?

Is there any workaround for this? Any plans to fix it...If I could I would just dump the nearby button, but there are zero controls for mobile.

Thanks in advance for any ideas or for at least taking the issue into consideration.

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by HHT View Post
    Hi,

I have seen the various threads regarding the issues with the mobile version not directing properly to custom link results and have a few issues with this myself. However, I have overcome a few of these hurdles by directing a user straight to the search page etc...

My main issue is the "Nearby" button...My client needs a regular "Buy Home" search and a "Rental Home" search. When someone clicks the "Search for Rentals" button on her mobile site they go straight to a custom link restraining them to rentals, but once there if they click nearby or any other button (besides refine search) it clears the restraints...from other posts I can see this is an issue for many...

OK...fine, so I decided I will not use a custom link and instead send a user straight to the search page inform them to un-check all and check residential lease...BUT clicking the nearby button will still clear all restraints and send them back to a list of homes for sale!

This can not be how you intended the nearby button to work, right? If I am a user and I go straight to your mobile search with zero restraints in play and select what to search by, pull that into a list, and then click nearby...why would you clear my search parameters? A user must then completely start their search over...and its incredibly confusing for a user. Currently the only solution I can come up with is this: Build a page that they hit prior to the mobile version, write out a paragraph of instructions that boils down to don't click any buttons besides "Refine Search", have a button they click to go to the mobile search, and pray they actually read the instructions before leaving my mobile site...seriously???

I understand making your product as useful as possible to as many customers as possible, but the nearby button in its current capacity (re: huge and part of the navigation at the bottom) is useless. Not just for someone searching for a rental, but for anyone searching by any parameter...

I also get that "refine search" will keep the search parameters and I get that there is a location box with a gps button they can click within refine search, but will a user? OR will they just see that big handy "Nearby" button at the bottom and click it instead?

Is there any workaround for this? Any plans to fix it...If I could I would just dump the nearby button, but there are zero controls for mobile.

Thanks in advance for any ideas or for at least taking the issue into consideration.
    Hello,

I do understand your frustration with the 'Nearby' button, but it's actually designed to shows ALL Listings in the given radius that the User inputs. Unfortunately, if you switched to the 'Search' tab and did a Search that way, it would not include the information that was input if you switched back to the 'Nearby' tab, and this is by design.

However, your reasoning isn't at all wrong and I would be more than happy to submit this type of functionality as a Suggestion for you. It would be very useful if the information DID carry over if the User switched back to the 'Nearby' tab so that they could find all the Listings around based on what was entered.

So I will definitely be submitting that for you and I do apologize for any inconvenience this might cause, but if you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to let us know.
    David
    Support: 877.348.7654 Ext.2
    Website | Blog | Help Desk | Forum | Submit A Ticket

Thank you very much!

In the mean-time I have implemented a dead simple but ugly solution where I have iframed the mobile version and covered the bottom buttons with a colored div positioned over the buttons just for the rental search. This way a user is forced to only use the refine search button for that area. However this seems to interfere with some of the responsiveness of screen resolution resizing, buttons and toggles. I am trying to figure out why and tweak that now, but look forward to a more permanent solution in the future...

: )